Friday 1 February 2013

Simple pleasures

It's been a while, but I thought it worth sharing a few things I've been amusing myself with over the last few days. An apology first though - the camera I was using before was borrowed. My own camera appears to have given up accurately reading light levels, which is a fairly important function, and as a result the machine is effectively useless, and I need a new one. So I don't have any photos of what I cooked. You'll just have to take my word for it. In case you would miss some sort of illustrative photography, here is a picture of a Swede:




Simple pleasure #1: Swede Dauphinoise

Technically I should be practising for the 'Redeem the Swede' competition, which regular readers will remember I have foolishly entered. But I also want to cook stuff that I actually want to eat, and given that you can use a swede for pretty much anything you'd use a spud for, I decided to have a crack at swede dauphinoise. It's easy to do and it turned out very nicely indeed. 

Serves 2

One average sized swede
One clove of garlic
300ml double cream

Quarter the swede then finely slice it. A mandoline would probably be useful for this (the bladed kitchen instrument, not a mandolin, the stringed musical instrument), but I just use a good sharp knife and a technique copied off the telly. Thinly slice the garlic and mix it up with the swede. Start layering the swede garlic mix in an oven tray, seasoning with salt and pepper as you go, but it really doesn't have to be neat. 'Chuck it all in there' would have been just as useful an instruction. Pour the cream over, getting it into all the nooks and crannies and making sure the top is all creamy. 

Pop it into a pre-heated oven at about gas 5 for maybe 45 minutes, I'm really sorry I didn't really pay too much attention to time. The important thing is that the point of a knife goes straight through with no effort and the top is lovely and brown and bubbling. If you wanted you could sprinkle some grated cheese over the top with ten minutes to go. I'm afraid I did. 



Simple pleasure #2: Pumpkin and Fennel Risotto

I once tried a make a pumpkin curry and the pumpkin ended up a bit mushy. It didn't work.  Not wanting to ruin my risotto by accidentally mashing the pumpkin, I decided to make the inevitable mashiness a feature rather than a mistake. Thus:

Serves 2

One quarter of an average sized crown prince squash (aka posh pumpkin)
One head of fennel
One onion
Butter
Olive oil
As many cloves of garlic as you fancy. Me? Oh, lots!
150g arborio rice
Half a cube of chicken or veg stock. If you've got the real thing, all the better
'Italian-style hard cheese' such as parmesan

Finely chop the onion and get it frying in a knob of butter with a drop of olive oil, gently so it doesn't go brown. Let it go for a good 15-20 minutes so it softens and the aroma transforms. Meanwhile, slice the squash fairly thin and put in a pan with just enough water to cover it. Bring it to the boil and then simmer until soft. Remove any fluffy fronds from the fennel and set aside. Halve and thinly slice the rest. Again, that mandoline could come in handy. 

Add the garlic and fennel to the onion and fry for a couple of minutes, then add another knob of butter, followed by the rice. Stir until the rice is coated in oniony buttery loveliness. Pour in the pumpkin along with the water it boiled in and simmer until the water is absorbed. Then add the stock a bit at a time and stir until the pumpkin has melted into everything and the rice and fennel are lovely and soft. Add another knob of butter if you dare, and a good grating of parmesan. Taste then season with salt and pepper. 

Slop it into bowls. Dive in. Nod contentedly. Sleep.  



Simple pleasure #3: Jerusalem Artichoke soup

(In the voice and delivery-style of Greg Wallace from Masterchef): Soup doesn't get easier or smoother or velvety-er than this!

Serves 1 (I was really hungry and it was really nice)

A double handful of Jerusalem artichokes
An onion
Knob of butter
Olive oil
A clove of garlic
Water

Slice the onion. Fry in a knob of butter and dribble of olive oil until your kitchen smells amazing. Add the garlic and the artichokes (which you have peeled and chopped in half). Pour in enough water to cover; bring to the boil and simmer until the artichokes are soft, maybe 20 minutes. Pour the lot into a blender, and blend until smooth. Season to taste. 

You can garnish this soup in the bowl with any number of things; a swirl of cream would be my choice. Or you could sprinkle some crispy bacon bits, croutons, or finely chopped parsley. If you have none of the above, it doesn't matter, it's just a heavenly soup.


This week's bag is bliss, with cavolo nero, cauliflower and brussels sprouts. I'll be sure to write about them, and I'll try and borrow a camera.  

Pip pip!












1 comment:

  1. Oh yes. The fluffy fronds you cut from the fennel: chop them up and add them to the risotto right at the end. I knew I'd forget something.

    ReplyDelete